Re: UK MOT test; Welding Standards

To: Matt Rathney-Quinn <tfg.tv2@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: UK MOT test; Welding Standards
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 23:31:02 +0100
Matt Rathney-Quinn <tfg.tv2@virgin.net> writes
>I'm repairing (as opposed to restoring) my 1966 Triumph Herald;
>
>The chassis is receiving extensive welding; much cutting out of rust and
>replacement with good metal.

Snip
>The question is; how will this affect the (UK)  MOT test An MOT tester has
>already told me that there is no problem with the actual amount of welding;
>and he seems to be suggesting that the fact it is continuous is enough. As
>yet though I haven't got the guy to actually look at the car and give me a
>ye or ney

A long time ago I used to do MOT testing. I don't believe that the
regulations have changed on this part of the test.

You may weld up body and chassis parts, the weld should be continuous,
but need not be dressed. The repair section should be the same thickness
as the metal that should have been there!

You may not weld up suspension parts or parts that are likely to have
been heat treated, (i.e. high stress pieces).

At the end of the day it is likely to be one person's opinion to give or
decline a certificate. Although officially denied, there is some
variation between testing stations, so you could keep trying till you
get a pass.

If you have a test station that is used to older cars, I'd try there as
the tester is likely to be more experienced and used to some of the
quirks of the older car- play in steering boxes vs. racks, disk
thickness' on older installations, etc. I have a Morgan and that has
created a few startled queries in the past!
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str