WHEEL BEARING ADJUSTMENT

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: WHEEL BEARING ADJUSTMENT
From: TJAZZED@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:16:58 EDT
Hi List
 Ijust replaced the front wheel bearings on my 63 tr4 and when I go to adjust
them, so the hubs spin freely, the axle nuts are not tight enough to install
the cross pins.  My guess is that the felt oil seals need to compress and/or
I am so used to the feel of worn bearings that I am not tightening the axle
nuts enough.  I remember reading on this list that there was an alternate
method of adjustment that involves using a torque wrench at a certain #???
Lbfeet and then backing off a flat on the nut.
Anyone know anything about this method???
    When I'm done with the fronts its on to the rear wheel bearings.  Are
there any tricks to make this job easier? It looks kinda scary from reading
the manual with the special tools and shims (eeek).  Any and all help or
suggestions gladly accepted !!!

Thanks in advance and hope to see many of you in Palo Alto, CA on the 10th.

Tony Johnson
tjazzed@aol.com
1963 tr4 ( ct18730 )