British Rear End Gears Q

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: British Rear End Gears Q
From: James Peverill <arsenix@brown.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:29:33 -0500
  I am on the Brown University formula SAE racecar design project in
Providence, RI.  Every year we build a single seat racecar powered by a 600cc
motorcycle engine.  This year we are attempting to do a longitudinal engine
layout, ditching our motorcycle style drive chain.  Our intent is to fabricate
a custom differential carrier, but we still have to find a suitable set of ring
and pinion gears.  Basically given our application (a light car with 80 hp), we
want to find just about the smallest automotive ring and pinion possible.
Quite a few older british car applications fit the bill!  We have a sprite ring
and pinion which is great size (around 6" diameter), but not quite the right
ratio.
  We are looking for a ratio around 4.1.  Could anyone recommend a good source
for technical info or parts?  Another problem is that we are going to have to
find appropriate mounting dimensions for the gearset, and I am not sure of a
good place to find that type of information for an older car.  Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any input!

James Peverill
Brown FSAE