Re: Radiator leaking-trying to make Carlislie Import show

To: eabb@loc.gov ("Eugene D Abbondelo"), british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Radiator leaking-trying to make Carlislie Import show
From: Herald1200@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:42:57 -0400
In a message dated 5/17/2004 2:41:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, eabb@loc.gov
writes:

> Anyone have any emergency repair suggestions for a leaking radiator.  I
> was thinking of trying to use an epoxy like J-B weld to try and stop it
> up.  I'm hesitant to use one of those stop leaks that you add to the
> antifreeze for fear of gumming up my (newely rebuilt) engine.  My
> coolant sustem runs on low pressure (about a 4 lb cap) doesn't have a
> thermostat but does have a water pump (earlier Singers didn't) I'll be
> driving about 100 miles or so  each way.

=====

Gene, speaking from moderate amounts of personal experience, the only even
marginally effective (yet non-harmful) stuff I've  used is the powdery stuff
(Aluma-Seal, perhaps?). Whatever you do, stay away from most anything else. I
once used some liquid stuff (with what looked for all the world like tapioca
pudding only in a dark amber color) in my Triumph Mayflower. Didn't stop the
leak; did cause SEVERE overheating. I've never had any problems with the
powdery stuff wherever I've tried it, and sometimes it actually works. ;-)

I hate to say it, but your best bet might be to simply forego this trip and
wait until your radiator can be properly recored.

--Andy Mace