[British-cars] advertising Jaguar is not enough

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: [British-cars] advertising Jaguar is not enough
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:03:39 -0500
Tata won't have the money to continue the 25 year trend of dumping
money into Jag. Ford fixed the quality problems of the eighties but
screwed up the brand marketing.  They need more than an ad agency,
they need a marketing plan focused on returning to their heritage.

They should immediately kill the X-type and end that marketing fiasco
instead of waiting until next year.  Ford stopped selling it in the
US last October evidently  most of them were being bought by Ford
employees with their discount.  They must return to selling high
quality luxury cars.  More advertising will continue to be counter
productive because they are killing their brand identify with the X-
type.  JD Powers said that after buying an X-type, buyers did not
return to Jag. The whole point of a cheaper model was to bring them
in and introduce them to the higher quality cars.   Why pay 45K US
car that will be worth half that in 3 years when you could buy a real
Jag used for the same money, and one that will hold its value longer.

They must return to building quality luxury cars or they will be a
dead marquee after 25 years of losses.

The trouble with all the corporate buy outs is the people who are
smart enough to make good decisions are denied the authority.  The
compromisers and lack luster performers rise in the companies to
become the bosses because they can sooth everyone's egos at the
meetings.  I cannot image someone at Ford didn't keep saying you
cannot build a Jaguar on a warmed over Taurus platform with a cheap
interior The poor guy that said it likely given the smallest office
in the place.