Re: [British-cars] advertising Jaguar is not enough

To: British Cars SOL <british-cars@autox.team.net>, Glen Wilson
Subject: Re: [British-cars] advertising Jaguar is not enough
From: Glen Wilson <rovercar@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 08:44:42 -0400
TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:
> Only time will tell.  Tata has a lot of respect for both marques, looks
> at them as providing access to new markets and doesn't want to screw
> them up.

Well, some Rover automobile people are already making noises about
reviving the Rover marque. Remember, Land Rover was just an offshoot of
the Rover Company in decades past, and Tata has the rights to the Rover
name.

It does raise the question of when a marque dies and if you are loyal to
a design philosophy, a cherished history or just a brand name.

BMW markets a Land Rover designed by Land Rover. Ford markets a Land
Rover designed by BMW. Tata will market a Land Rover designed by Ford.
Tata markets a Land Rover designed by Tata. So, where's the true Land
Rover DNA in all of this?

At least something with a Land Rover badge on it has been in continuous
production. If someone slaps a Triumph nameplate on a Chinese car next
year, are you all going to jump up and down and run out to buy the new
Triumph TR18 with half-inch panel gaps and dismal safety ratings? Sounds
like people can't wait for the "new" MG.

People interested in railroad history refer to companies that went out
of business as "fallen flags" and let them rest in peace. I think we
should do the same with "fallen flag" automobile marques.

Glen