ROVER/B-O-P 3500/215 DISTRIBUTOR

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: ROVER/B-O-P 3500/215 DISTRIBUTOR
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@minerva.amdahl.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 08:14:08 -0700
Hi listers,
           I need some assistance in locating a suitable distributor for my
V8 engine project.
Last Saturday while looking for a couple of parts for my daughter's Honda,
I thought I would take the opportunity to look for a distributor for my V8
project.  Well it soon became evident that not ANY GM V8 distributor will do!
I remember reading that most any HEI ignition set up will work but I see
now, after pulling a couple of units, that I need a specific style of shaft
and gear drive. I got a little frustrated having selected a unit that I
thought was in pretty good shape, from an Olsmobile something, when I
realised I should be looking for a unit that is a front mounted
distributor, because of the shaft length.  I pulled a couple only to
realise they were 6's not 8's.
Being completely in the dark, never having pulled a V8 apart and my project
engine came without a distributor. I finally decided to leave the yard
without a unit and get some help from the list. From my observations, I
found that all of the cars I saw with front mounted distributors, were
those short 6 cylinder engines and so the distributors are not suitable, or
are they if modified ?. Do I need a V6 distributor with a different cap ?.
So folks, what do I look for, should I get two units, a V8 and a V6 and
combine parts from both to make one that works, or is there something
specific I should be looking for? The price seemed right @ $25, or two for
$50!.
I know there are no 215 motors with distributors at the yard I was at.
Your guidence is greatly appreciated.  John.
     E-mail jdb70@minerva.amdahl.com
  John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.
  ** 408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **
    **  USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY  **
Various MGB & GT's (6) '69 to 79; 86 XJ-S COUPE