Discovery engine any good?

To: "Buick-Rover-V8 Mail List" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Discovery engine any good?
From: "Pete Bronlund" <peteb@clear.net.nz>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:50:50 +1300
Hi everyone, sorry for the previous post that just read as "get". (Bit
of finger trouble)! Anyway a quick question on the later model Rover
engine, namely the unit in the Land Rover Discovery. Late models it's a
3.9L although earlier units are 3.5L both injected. Is the block the
so-called stiff-block that Hardcastle talks about in his book ie thicker
webbs in the valley & around the frontal area. I know the engine as it
stands is not too well set for performance as the heads & CR are
intended for a 4x4. Also does anyone know the story behind it appearing
re-badged as a Honda & called a Crossroads? There are a few of these
engines turning up in New Zealand & i'm looking for a modern core for my
next project. Thanks