RE: 3.5/3.9/4.0/4.2/4.6 interchange-abililty - And offline

To: TR7/TR8 List <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>,
Subject: RE: 3.5/3.9/4.0/4.2/4.6 interchange-abililty - And offline
From: Kevin Burtch <kburtch@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 01:46:28 -0400 (EDT)
I'm starting to wonder if I really did see it on one of these lists
or not. I could have sworn I read it in an email, but it was a while
ago.

On 20-May-2002 Jason Clark wrote:
> ...and this article can be found at:
>
> http://www.britishv8.org/sept2001.pdf

This article could be what I was thinking of... though I thought
I remembered reading more about the cranks, and the relationship
between them, the front covers, and the crank-driven oil-pumps in
the newer engines. I didn't see a lot of info on this subject in
this article.

Basically, I'm trying to find the least expensive way to increase
the displacement of my 3.5L, without decreasing the rod-ratio. I'd
love to get a 3.9L block, which I can just plug my crank and rods
into. The 4.0L has the exact same displacement, but larger main
journals and much longer rods which results in the longest rod-ratio
of any engine I've ever seen (2.18:1)... add this to the cross-bolted
mains, and you've got a _very_ solid base for serious hop-up work.
This option requires I get an entire short block assembly, instead
of just a bare block (which makes it a much more expensive conversion).

Thanks to all who replied.

-Kevin Burtch