Re: Gearbox

To: Stoffe Hermansson <stoffe@toughguy.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 18:35:40 -0400
Christoffer
    Inside most 'slush boxes', there is a device called a pump which
pressurizes the fluid in the system.  However, the pump should produce
the same pressure regardless of the car's speed.  The governor, which is
like a mini centrifuge attached to the output shaft (car speed) varies
the pressure in the system.  As the rotatonal speed increases, the
pressure on the hydraulic fluid increases which actuates different
clutch bands and packs  via servos and spool valves which change the
gear ratios by freeing or locking different planetary gear clusters.
 Your tranny. will have either a throttle valve (TV) or vacuum
modulator.  Both of these devices downshift the car at when they detect
that the car's speed is slow, compared to throttle position.  the TV
monitors the position of the gas pedal, and a vacuum modulator measures
manifold vacuum.  Kickdown levers (I think) just lower the gear when the
gas pedal/carb linkage detects that you want to accellerate by putting
the pedal to the floor.  Trannys also have a manual valve that lets you
delect the gear manualy.  I suspect that there is a way to adjust the
kickdown linkage.  You can also buy kits that shift more agressively.
Finally, I have no idea how much that particular box needs.  Is there a
mark on the dipstick?  You can check with a Volvo mechanic, since I
believe that they used that box on a number of cars.
James Jewell
p.s. check out howthingswork.com  as I think they might have some
graphics on this topic.
JJJ