melting temps

To: <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: melting temps
From: "jon axt" <vonaxt@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 16:59:45 -0700
I bought a core 4.2, knowing that it had been hot. But how hot? The front
cam bearing shell had come out and was sitting on the cam between the inside
of the front of the block and the first lobe. I cannot press it back in by
hand. Two other shells were dislodged by a quarter inch. But here's the
scary part: the second shell appears to have partially melted out. There is
what appears to be a gob of solder stuck in the slit between the pan and the
welded in horizontal baffle. I think that the bearings came out when the
engine overheated. Oil pressure would have been low but the crank, and even
the cam journals, appear to be fine. I plan on pressure testing the block
for water leaks. Jon