150 hp Cams

To: erikb@elrond.sp.TRW.COM
Subject: 150 hp Cams
From: PHILLIPBABCOCK <PHILLIPBABCOCK@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 17:45:40 -0400
Erik

Been reading about cam recomendations.. and here is what I did in Feb/98
to get 150hp.

Bored .030, 12.5 compression pistons, 125E Rods, Steel mains (might not
have needed but might want more power later), kept stock crank(thats
keeping from going higher), steel tappets, cams with .434 lift, 1.625 &
1.375 valves, head cut for valves and springs, special valve gear. Head
ported and polished. Kept 40mm Webers for now.

On my chassis dyno, I have tuned the car for max using 104 Gas at 128hp
@ 6200 RPM at the rear wheels. That's 150.5hp at the flywheel given the
standard 15% loss through a manual Tranny. I was shooting for 150hp so
thats pretty close. One could drive this on the street, if you didn't
have too much traffic. (I've been know to bed in some race brakes down
the street with a quick dash back to the shop)

They say that if you can make 150 on 40mm webers that you can get 10-15
more by going to 45mm. I still have an old set off my Lotus 47 from the
late 60's so I will give it a try soon.

If I buy a steel crank I can then change only the cams and get much
higher hp ......also can rebuild more often.

I got everything from Dave Bean (Ken) except the cams, Nice folks. They
have a web page davebean.com.

Been listening not typing lately.

Phil Babcock
72 Lotus Elan Sprint (Vintage Racer) Car & Driver