Re: 150 HP Cams

To: elan66@ccia.com
Subject: Re: 150 HP Cams
From: PHILLIPBABCOCK <PHILLIPBABCOCK@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 09:22:00 -0400
Michael and Betty Braun wrote:

> All this is interesting stuff. I guess this validates DBE's contention
> that this profile cam gives 150 hp.  Is this a 1600 TC? Compression
> ratio?  Did jetting and ignition timing alter the ratings much?  I'm not
> trying to be nosy, just better educated,
>
>                                         Mike Braun

Mike
I bought the cams from Cam Tech. nin Tampa or St Pete. Fla. Yes this is
a 1600 Twincam. 12.5 t0 1 compression pistons from DBE (Ken) 83.5MM
bore. With the use of our chassis Dyno, yes jetting & timing make a
world of difference. When I first got the Dyno the rear HP was 94.5 and
I thought it had felt very good, I was running recommend jets and
timing. With the Dyno it went up to 106hp at rear wheels. The only
change was jetting and timing.

We have a Dynojet 248C in our shop, the same Dyno that all Winston Cup
owners now have in their shop. We charge $65 for the first hour and $50
per hour after. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to time and jet on the
Dyno. Thats cheap, cheap, HP. While on the Dyno, it will show down to
the 10th of HP & lb. of Torque, so you know right away if you are going
in the right direction. Check out dynojet.com for nearest shop with one
of their Dyno's. More than likely there's one nearby.

By the way, we find that most people coming in are running too much fuel
and too much timing.

Hope this helps.

Phil Babcock
72 Lotus Elan Sprint