Re: Tie-in points and methods for early Elan roll-cage

To: Raymond - Jang <rpjang@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Tie-in points and methods for early Elan roll-cage
From: PHILLIPBABCOCK <PHILLIPBABCOCK@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 17:10:33 -0400
Raymond - Jang wrote:

> Hi Phil:
>
> Thanks for your response to my query.  I totally agree, the driving seat
> and harness need to be a part of the cage structure and that's what I
> plan.  I recall reading Dave Bean's newsletter about a year ago, he had
> just rolled an Elan and he came to the same conclusion.  As I recall, he
> observed that a simple roll bar is not enough, a cage with seat and floor
> reinforcements was his next step.
>
> Shaped the main hoop last night with a Hossfelder bender.  With the mild
> steel, .095 wall tubing its a workout to bend manually and took two of us
> on the end of the 7 foot lever to get it done.  We're now investigating a
> hydraulic accessory to help!

Raymond

On my car we have two rear stays to the top of the shock towers, plate
weilded then bolted to top as stock. Forward bar to top of center frame
1/2 way back from shifter. (sit in car to find post) Normal Diag bar,
top drivers to lower pass. Bar streight across from left to right
weilded with plate as it crosses the center frame. C - Bars in the
rockers from bottom of hoop legs to just behind front tires. Helps
prevent tire intrusion into pedal box (thin fiberglass)(hard to
install). Also short bars from bottom of hoop legs back to bottom of
center frame. (keep legs from coming in...)

Good luck

Phil Babcock
72 Lotus Elan Sprint in Fla.