Re: Elan +2 as (semi)daily driver?

To: Tor Hval <torhv@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re: Elan +2 as (semi)daily driver?
From: Keith Gustafson <gusmach@shore.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:15:31 -0500
The problem is, that there is notelling when something will go bad. I f you
cannot afford to have a "bad year" i.e. water pump, rotoflex, misc
electrical gremlins, tehn you probably should rethink your strategy.

Reliability is in the eye of the beholder. My car rarely leaves me stranded,
but....

In 14 years I have:

Valve job[new valves, guides etc] twice
Lower end [bore, pistons all bearings] twice
built new front shock towers once
replaced with spyder chassis
rebuilt brake system, stainless everything
rebuilt servos twice, dead again
slave cylinder countless times
suspension bushes twice[have new ones in a box, they need it again]
rebuilt strombergs 3 times
recore radiator
install bolt in water pump
generator, 2 lucas alternators, 2 mitsubish alternators, chrysler
alternator[fingers crossed]
every other rubber part in the car at least once
wiper motor
update vacuum headlight system, replace microswitches

in addition to
rewire car[my choice, it worked but was getting ugly]
repaint car
recover seats
refinish dash

I should note, I drive my car, and I drive it hard. I figured out this year
that i have driven around 9k miles just to LOG's. Some of the things are my
fault, some just are what they are. A Lotus is many things, but cheap
transportation it aint.

I don't mean to be rude, but...
If you plan on buying the car, putting a few thousand miles on it and doing
no maintenance or repair, do us all a favor, don't.

If I had bought a Lotus when I first wanted one, I would have ended up
hating the car, probably destroying it, and never buying another one. When I
bought my car, I wasn't well off, I was young[21] but I could afford the
usual ups and downs, and could afford to pay for my mistakes.

Owning a Lotus, IMHO, requires cash and or resources. I sounds like while
you are in school[like most people at that stage] you will lack both.
Perhaps you would be happier to wait until you have started your lucrative
career to get your toy.
Don't wait too long, fun is all too frequently pushed back while dull
everyday stuff takes up your life.

Keith

Rapidly turning into an OF