Re: 'Pushing' the front end??

To: "Daniel Neuman" <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: Re: 'Pushing' the front end??
From: "Calvin Grandy" <cmgfam@sover.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 14:23:47 -0500
Some thoughts:

        If the rear end was hitting the bump stop in the "before cut"
condition, the out side tire load would be much greater than in the "after cut
condition", if the axle is now not hitting the stop.  Once the chassis hits the
stop, that point becomes the roll center, give or take the flex of the bump
stop.  In the "after cut" condition, the loading is  more or less shared
between the rear tires as long as nothing touches. the tires will "corner
better", generating less slip angle and so "over steer" less.
        By cutting the stops, and if the axle does not hit the stops, you have
effectively softened the roll resistance rate at the rear end, until something
hits that is.  This should cause the car to "under steer" more.

Adding a stiffer rear anti-roll bar would be indicated.  You need to get weight
off the outside front tire!

I would prefer to reprofile the bump stops for more progression that to cut
them.  A cut "spring" is stiffer!  So with a cut bump stop, you have nothing,
then bang! to stiff!.  This abrupt transition could be the cause of the bad
behavior as well.

Regards

Calvin Grandy
Vermont