Re: 'Pushing' the front end??

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 'Pushing' the front end??
From: Todd Osborn <trosborn@california.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 13:43:28 -0800
Not sure how the LSD rear end would effect handling, but rear sway bars
are usually added to cure *over*steer. Pretty clear Daniels problem is
understeer caused by lack of front suspension travel.  I am running comp
front springs as well, with no bump stops (NOT recommended). My car has
superior turn-in, no understeer and nice throttle controllable oversteer
upon turn exit (love those four wheel drifts). BTW, the front bump stops
and brackets were removed by the PO (an autocrosser), suspension travel
is now limited by the tie-rods hitting the frame (this is bad). Yes my
tie-rods are slightly bent. I plan on making some reduced height
aluminum bump stop towers with urethane bumpers, until then, I take it
easy on the turns.

I recommend Fred Puhn's "How to Make Your Car Handle" HP books about
$15, easy to read and the old one I have even has some roadsters
featured (bump stops! page 56).

Todd Osborn
2x68 2.0L
San Jose, CA