Re: A nice offer from TWM induction

To: "Jim Tyler" <jtyler29@idt.net>,
Subject: Re: A nice offer from TWM induction
From: "cgrandy" <cmgfam@sover.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 03:41:14 -0500
Good advice!  Listen!

Calvin Grandy
Vermont

----------
> From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
> To: 'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'
> Subject: RE: A nice offer from TWM induction
> Date: Friday, December 10, 1999 9:11 PM
>
> I'll make you you the same offer on the following parts which you need
about as much as the
> TWM airbox:
>
> Full race cam.
> Maximally ported intake.
> Chrome 4" inch exhaust tip
> Solid core spark plug wires
> 50 mm solexes
> Titanium valves w/8mm stems (those big ones are TOO restrictive for
street use!)

> Get my point?  Actually Daniel I am not being sarcastic, I'm just thought
I would to help you avoid wasting a bunch of money.  As nice as the offer
is from TWM, it simply doesn't mean much for street use.

> Best case, after spending a small fortune in dynoing, you may add a few
HP at redline.

> You see the first thing you are going to find is that at certain RPM's
your mixture and or timing
> is less than optimal.  This will hurt you much worse than the airbox will
help.
> Then you are going to need to work out a solution/compromise across the
RPM band.  That will involve several runs, a bunch of jet swapping, and
timing light work (by the way you are on the clock...) maybe recurving
(again) or eliminating the distributor.  Oh yes, Fuel delivery issues?

> You have to do all this since it makes no sense to try to optimize an
airbox on a mis-tuned engine,
> right?
>
> Now you start swapping velocity stacks, boxes, and filters.  Did any of
this change your mixture/timing requirements?  Are you detonating at
different loads/throttle positions?
> maybe.  Go back to the above.
>
> Get my point?
>
> TWM makes nice stuff, but it isn't a magic bullet.  If you are going to
sqeeze more HP out of
> your Solex 2L, buy a jet assortment and a choke assortment and learn how
to tune the carbs carefully.  You can pick up real power this way.  The
factory air cleaner will work fine.