RE: Air boxes

To: "'Calvin Grandy'" <cmgfam@sover.net>, Bob Mann <RWM@RWMann.com>,
Subject: RE: Air boxes
From: Howard Fletcher <hgf@netro.com.au>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 11:30:48 +1100
Hi Bob, all

The general knowledge in this area seems to be changing rapidly.

Hadyn Gooch of Uniflow Aust recently did a test with a 1960's alpha GTA
spec, that has a lot of engine characteristics similar to a race datsun
2000.

The owner spent heaps on dynoing and after trying several models including
trapdoor and enclosed airbox, the model they came up with was basically an
airbox made of filter material.  A cold air flow was pointed to this but
not connected to it. (And screened from engine heat).

My main problem with a trap at the back is that it must be filtered
otherwise whenever the car is stationery you are sucking in dirt and dust
with dramatic reduction on ring and bore life (even for a short life race
engine) amongst other adverse things.

Anecdotal evidence from the supplier to BMW Motorsport works team for 2
lite super production cars is that they use, or at least used up to last
year or so, a trap at the back of their airbox that was computer
controlled. But then their budget goes to more than ten million.

I think a leafblower would help to simulate at least some air affect when
dynoing, even if it did not give the flow effect of 100 mph . (not tested,
so I may be bullxxxx on that)

Static pressure: sure it is equal throughout, but doesnt the issue of air
flow dynamics come in here.  It would be great to have some inexpensive way
of  measuring these flows and their impact.

But here I am talking race stuff, not road.  Personally I like tractability
for the road.

Regards

Howard
Aussie