Re: exhaust sytem work.

To: dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu, Johnsof@jmspi.com
Subject: Re: exhaust sytem work.
From: DemonTSi@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:39:38 EST
In a message dated 12/21/1999 11:20:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu writes:

>   I thought stainless was called stainless cause it didn't rust??  I
>  don't know what grade the muffler is made of but I know it has a several
> year
>  warrenty.  Guess I don't know as much as I thought..
>  Which stainless alloys would be good for this application??

304 is considered the "commercial-grade" stainless...and then there's the
higher-up 321, which is a bit more expensive. For all intents and purposes,
304 will work great, just as long as you take care of it. Your supertrapp is
more than likely made of 304, and it *could* start rusting if you just left
it on the car and drove it like that for a few years (also remember we're in
CA, so no worries about salt on the ground; altho there's some salt in the
air up in your area  :)  Just disassemble the supertrapp every so often and
"clean" things up with some steel wool and you should be fine.
Oh yeah, good luck finding a midas that can fab up a full stainless exhaust
system... they'll most lkely make the piping out of aluminized steel (crush
bent too) and just weld your supertrapp to it. Again, you won't have any
problems with the piping as long as you maintain it...

Van
- http://members.xoom.com/BADROC