Solex runnig questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Solex runnig questions
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:40:15 -0800 (PST)
Hello All,

        I have a few Solex questions for you.
In my short drive around I noticed a couple of things...
There is a light popping when engine braking..this might be because of the lack
of back pressure because due to my leaky exhaust.
SOmetimes at idle I can hear a popping noise coming from one of the carbs.
Under constant throttle maybe like going up a longish but not too steep
hill the car 'surges' noticabley it seems to be around 2800 rpm where it does
this.
NOw I have not balanced them yet but the idle seems kinda rough.. I have new
motor mounts but the shifter really moves around alot if Ihave the car idle
at ~600rpm.  I know with the B cam the idle is supposed to be rougher but
jsut how rough??
        Any help-advice-insight would be greatly appreciated.
I plan to attck theh carbs tonight after work with my UNI-Syn and the
manual.  Is the method described in the manual any good for balancing
-adjusting the Solex's?? Anybody have any hints-trick they want to share??

        TIA for any help you can give
                Daniel 69 2000
                SF CA