Passed Smog! Thanks

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Passed Smog! Thanks
From: "J Friederich" <jfried@anv.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 18:55:18 -0800
Thanks to all who helped with tips to pass smog here in Nevada.  2L, Solex
carbs & cam.

Allowed limits are:
2500 RPM and Idle test:
CO (%):    <= 4.00
HC (ppm): <= 800

My first results, with the car 'running strong':
Idle:
CO (%):    = 6.42
HC (ppm): = 2462

2500 RPM:
CO (%):    = 3.68
HC (ppm): = 840

Idle HC's were killing me (hopefully no others).  I replaced the pilot jets
(60's) with 55's (the smallest I had).  Replaced the main fuels (145's) with
135's.  Left the main airs at 200.  Using smaller main fuels made the
secondary run leaner, using smaller pilots made the idle leaner.

Back to the testing station, still failed - but at least now close.  Sync'd
the carbs, leaned out adjusting screws even more, now really close.  Oh, the
testing station doesn't allow adjustments 'on the grounds' so had to either
drive home or around the corner to make adjustments.  Finally, after many
tweaks, it PASSED!  I'm good till next New Years.  That is the good news,
the bad news is the car barely runs - I've got to replace jets and re-adjust
to get it to be drivable again.  Kind of sad in an environmental way - but
I've got 3 other cars that get driven much more, and all are 'modern' and
pass easily, so I won't lose sleep over a few additional HC's every now and
then...  Again, thanks for your help...

-jsf
'69 2000 Solex