Re: carbs

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: carbs
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 22:34:07 -0800
Chris-
        Whenever I've had this problem intermittently, like you, it's been crud
in the gas.  A bit of junk will get lodged under the float valve and
stick it open, causing the float bowl to overfill, and the carb to
richen up.  Usually, it'll spoot fuel outa the top vent, too.
        My fix? Rinse the tank thoroughly, and add several good- quality fuel
filters, changed frequently!  One goes BEFORE the fuel pump, one after.
Why, y'all ask?  Well, the same crud will also jam the pump valves, and
cause the pump to stop working...
        And BTW, when a SU starts icing, it's pretty interesting!  The ice
forms in the venturi, restricting it, and causing the plunger to lift.
That gives more fuel, so you eventually die with a terminally rich
mixture and pissed-off traffic behind you.  Yes, it's been cold and
foggy here the last few mornings, why do you ask?
Toby