Re: Minilites

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Minilites
From: Marc Sayer <msayer1@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:34:26 -0800
Jsk977@aol.com wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I have a set of original magnesium Minilites, and they are 6" wide.

The Mag versions came first and were their racing wheels. They came in a
variety of sizes and widths and could also be special ordered in sizes
if you were willing to order enough (as many bigger race teams were).
The aluminum wheels came later as a variation on the mag race wheels and
as a street wheel. Minilites came in at least 4 different eight-spoke
designs. One looked much like a Western or Shelby wheel, and had a large
flat center section and short spokes that ended almost as soon as they
reached the center section. Another looked much more like the
Panasports, and had a much smaller center section and longer spokes.
They also came out with a variation on the short-spoke type that had
ribs cast into the rim, and had a Rudge-Whitworth center-lock type
variation on the long spoke.  I am sure there were probably others as well
but these are the only ones I am personally familiar with.

--
Marc Sayer
Editor/Publisher