Re: Engine oil

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine oil
From: Ray Cole <raycole@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 20:09:44 -0800
Actually I think the motor oil manufacturers, synthetic and conventional,
all are very conservative in their reccomendations.  A few years ago there
was a study of New York City taxis where they went to a (I think) 10,000
mile interval and could find no difference in wear.  Where it can make a
difference is in very cold or very hot conditions.  It flows well at
extremely low temperatures and stands up to very high temps. without
boiling off the lighter fractions.  I never approach those extremes, and
most of us won't so we use it because it's convenient or we just want the
'best' and that isn't all bad either.

On the other hand conventional oil is cheap, easy to change, and even if it
isn't absolutely necessary to do it every 3000 miles it gives us something
to do and it can't hurt.

Would probably stay away from Mobil I, at least the lower viscosities, due
to leakage problems.  When it first came out we had LOTS of returns due to
oil leaks.  Most of us have enought little black puddles under our cars as
it is.

Ray

68 1600
68 2000