frame painting...

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: frame painting...
From: Pam & Paul Bauman <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:17:35 -0800
I'll admit, it was exciting seeing the first layers of primer go on the
beast after so many weeks of putting parts in boxes. But now it's just
turned into messy, necessary work. I bought a can of Rustoleum black to
cover the godawful red primer (I know, it's not POR-15, but the more I
read about that stuff, the more it scares me).

Got ready to start painting and realized I had flat black instead of
semigloss. I stood there thinking about another trip to the store, when
I remembered my penny-wise modeling days as a kid. So back to the store
for a can of Rustoleum gloss black. My wife washed out an old gallon
bleach jug (for those purists out there, an Evian container) and mixed
the two together. Presto! Instant semigloss black. The bottle didn't
explode, so I guess it works the same now as it did 25 years ago. I now
have more than enough paint to do the frame and underside of the car.
Just remember not to mix oil and water-based paint together--yucck!

I know there's probably a good reason why they don't put paint in
plastic jugs with screw tops, but for the life of me, I can't think of
one. It's easy to mix, easy to pour, and I'm not tempted to paint
directly out of the bottle! I used Dixie cups and the cheapest brushes I
could find. Use once, throw away.

Also, be aware that taking off the front shocks without the weight of
the body and drivetrain is no picnic. I don't have a spring compressor
(I don't even know what one looks like!) and the frame alone is not
nearly heavy enough to squash them coils springs down enough to let the
shocks out of the lower a-arm. Anyone do this without a spring
compressor? Anyone interested in coming by to sit on the frame for a few
minutes?

I'll even wait till the paint dries :-)

Paul
67 1600