Re: Brake Overhaul

To: LarryD@pengrowth.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Overhaul
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:55:49 EST
In a message dated 03/07/2000 1:23:16 PM Mountain Standard Time,
LarryD@pengrowth.com writes:

<< Hi guys, I am going to start my first brake cylinder removal/overhaul this
 weekend.  Can anyone offer suggestions as to what to look out for.  More
 concerned about pulling the disc brakes.  Is there a specific process to
 retrieve the plungers (please excuse rookie terminology)?  Total fluid
 system has been drained.  Hopefully, I won't regret doing it prior to this
 request for help.

 I have assumed the brake and clutch master cylinders will also have to be
 rebuilt.  Seems to me I also have a clutch "assist cylinder" in the
 tranny/bellhousing area.  Larry.

Larry,
Here's my experience. The calipers can be rebuilt if they aren't too badly
pitted. If badly pitted you have to replace them.  I had very bad results
trying to rebuild the brake master cylinder, so replaced it. Got one from
Ross and Sports Imports for around $165, worth every penny.  Also check your
flex line hoses; there are one at each front wheel and one from the body to
the rear axle. If they are old, replace them (about $18 ea. I think). I was
also able to rebuild the rear cylinders on mine. The assist cylinder is the
slave cylinder and you could try rebuilding it, but in general I have never
been able to get aluminum cylinders to work after rebuilding them, so you
might look at replacing it as well, if it is leaking.  Use DOT 4 brake fluid
(Castrol GT/LMA) in both cylinders.  Good luck on the project.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Warren ME