Re: Dash work

To: "Dziuba, Larry" <LarryD@pengrowth.com>
Subject: Re: Dash work
From: Kelly Brown <brown4@cdsnet.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 20:18:57 -0800
Dziuba, Larry wrote:

> Wow!  It sounds like we're the same age and on the same shedule.  I just
> purchased my first roadster('69 2000)last fall.  I jumped right in.  Well
> let's say I did the dirty work of pulling the motor and tranny and someone
> who knows what they're doing is rebuilding the motor.  According to the
> machinist, the motor has never been bored out.
>
> My initial concerns are w/ safety.  So brakes and front end work will
> follow.  I also have read enough on this great mail link site to want a
> clean/safe wiring harness.  I dread the old "bent neck under the dash"
> feeling.  I will definitely be taking out the seats.  I have also heard it
> is easier to work on the dash w/ it removed from the car.  The only offset
> to this is the same people are suggesting I pull the windshield to get at
> the top screws.  Of course someone has covered the dash w/ a vinyl top.  Can
> you really get good access w/ the dash in place?  Larry in Calgary, Alberta.

Dear Larry,

My 67 1600 has the low windshield, so I am not sure how your windshield
attaches to the car.  I took the dash out to have it re-done, since they
tend to go bad.  I did have to take the windshield off to get all of the
screws out that hold the dash down up by the windshield weatherstrip. On
my car there are 2 bolts that go down through the weather strip from the
frame of the windshield.  These bolts are removed from under the dash.
Be careful removing the windshield and frame. You don't want to crack
the windshield.  When I had mine out, I took it to a glass shop and they
put liquid black rubber between the windshield and frame.  It looks
really good.  I also replaced the weather strip under the windshield. It
seems that once a guy starts fixing one thing on these cars, you end up
fixing a bunch of other things at the same time.  While I had the dash
and windshield off, I decided to re-paint the front of the dash, so that
required me to remove all of the gauges to get a good paint job.  I had
my dash re-done by dash specialties here in Medford, Or.  They charged
$300, but a good looking dash is the key to a well restored interior.

Regards,
Kelly Brown
Medford, Or