BRAKE bleeding process

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: BRAKE bleeding process
From: jschmi7@us.ibm.com
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 06:23:05 -0600
Possibly I am doing something that is stupid and it is not as good an idea
as I have always thought.  I'd like an opinion.

When I bleed my brakes or do a complete replacement I follow do the
following.  I fill up my reservoir, then take a tall glass bottle with one
inch of fluid in the bottom, and a 1/4 " hose.  I connect the hose to my
regular bleeder nipple with my wrench already on the nut and the other end
in the bottle, making sure that the hose is in the clean fluid in the
bottle.  I open the valve and allow fluid to begin dripping out, to fill
the hose with fluid.  I then very slowly hand pump my brakes making sure
the reservoir is kept full.

After several pumps,  the fluid starts running clear (yes I have one old
hose that needs replacing) and I close up the system.   As I have daughters
that are no longer patient enough to sit in a car and pump brakes for a
half hour,  this seems to be the best process short of buying a pump for
$50.

Have I been kidding myself into thinking I am getting a "clean"  system?

John Schmitt    Telecommuter Office # - 847-458-7829
   Internal phonemail only  -  847-240-4725      pager pin#  800-759-8888
pin 8710561