RE: opening her up

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: opening her up
From: Roman Rist <ristguitars@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 23:22:13 -0800 (PST)
   Hi folks,

For the last couple of days I've been reading all the tech stuff about
rpms, gears, tire sizes, etc. Very informative stuff. Here is my "tech
stuff". In 1979 I bought my first 1600. I saw the car kind of liked it.
I sat inside the cockpit and was impressed! the car fit my body
Perfectly. I'm 5ft 9inches,(i read in z car mag that all the datsuns of
the 60s were built around a 5ft 8 inch cardboard dummy)
Still, my experience was with american v-8s. My buddy told me to take
the the car out for a while to see how I liked it. Being used to my 71
Mustang with a 302 4 barrel, headers and dual exhaust,I figured I'd
really have to jump on this tiny little 4 banger to get any thing out
of it. So I did. I was tooling around surface streets at the speed
limit and then decided to get onto the freeway. Here was the moment of
truth.Could this little Jap 4 banger ever make it onto the freeway at
the speed of "normal american V-8 cars"? So I had no choice but to jump
on it, and that I did. to make a long story short, by the time I was
off the entrance ramp to the freeway I was speeding! I'd just shifted
into 3d gear and had entered the freeway at a nice speed of 75 and
still had 4th gear left! I was impressed. I got off at the next exit
made my way back to my buddy's house gave him his 600 dollars and took
home my new car. Been a roadster diehard fan ever since.

Roman Rist
66 sp311
67.5 sp311
LA, Ca. (No Top This Weekend)