Re: Battery Charging- BLAM!

To: Chris.Brucciani@ercgroup.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Battery Charging- BLAM!
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 08:23:31 EST
Many years ago, like about 25 or so, I was working
as a mechanic in a very haphazard, and by today's
standards, unsafe, shop.  In one corner were about
8 or 10 batteries, all being charged by one
large charger, with these little spiked jumpers
pounded into the lead terminals hooking them
all together.  Not too far away was me,
repairing a some piece of equipment that
required welding, and welding away I was,
sparks everywhere,  when all of a sudden
BLAM!!!    Battery caps ricocheting around
like acid dipped popcorn.  I took off my
welding gear, and couldn't figure out what
happened for a minute or 2...no one ever
explaining to me the danger of hydrogen gas....
None of the batteries actually exploded,  just
blew the caps off of most of them, and sprayed
acid everywhere.   Needless to say, I always
charge batteries out of the vehicle in a well
ventilated place since that day.  (and keep
flames/sparks  away also)
Jim Cawrse
67 pushrod 2L
Chesapeake VA