Re: dim headlights

To: "Matt Peterson" <pete_303@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: dim headlights
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:13:05 -0600
>I have a quick question.  Are there a few easy things to look for as to the
>cause of dim headlights?  They are a dim yellow.  I can drive with the
>brights on without worrying about anyone getting annoyed.  Could it be a
>ground or connections?  Could they just need to be replaced?

Not sure if the color of the headlights changes as they age, but remember
that the ground leg of a DC circuit is just as important as the hot side.
At least on the 510 Nissan actually switched the ground side of some
circuits rather than the power side.

The lack of an adequate ground is why folks sometimes find themselves
with super hot throttle and choke cables. Those electrons are going to
complete the circuit any way they can, and if you don't have a good
engine ground then you get cooked throttle and/or choke cables.

On the other hand, the old connectors in the wiring harness seem to grow
green moldy gunk very well. Stuff like small contact brushes and files
and treatments like De Oxit, from Caig(?) help clean the green gunk and
keep it from coming back.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day