Re: motor balancing

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: motor balancing
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:32:10 -0800
The procedure usually goes something like this. The pistons are machined
so that they each weigh the same. The rods are machined so that the
small ends will all weigh the same and the big ends will all be the
same. Then a weight is calculated from this and that weight used to
balance the crank. If the rods and pistons have been balanced properly,
there is no problem with them being disassembled.

The pulley is balanced with the crank, but the flywheel is sometimes
done separately, since you might wind up replacing the flywheel at some
time and you wouldn't want to unbalance the whole mess as a consequence.
The pressure plate always gets balanced separately for the same reason.

--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org