motor balancing

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: motor balancing
From: Stephan Sochoux <sochoux@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:53:16 -0800 (PST)
Hello all,

I'm in the process of doing a complete U20 rebuild and
i'm currently concerned with what has been done so far
at the machine shop (screw up on the jackshaft bearing
install).

I paid to get the engine balanced. What components get
balanced ? I supplied the flywheel, crankshaft and
crankshaft pulley. The machinist already had the rods.
I think he said that he balanced the
flywheel/crank/pulley assembly. I asked about the
clutch pressure plate and he said i should get a new
one, that it doesn't get balanced with the assembly.
Hmmm..

When I got all the parts back, my new pistons and rods
were not assembled. Should they have been ? Aren't the
pistons and rods "married" correctly and balanced with
the whole thing ?

I need to have an intelligent conversation with him
but i need to sound like i know what i'm talking
about...

Any other items i should ask/look for ?

TIA,

Stephan