OT-Getting in or getting out

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT-Getting in or getting out
From: Andrew Murphy <andrew.murphy@integtech.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 08:03:46 -0800
Hey List,

I guess the SoCalROC website is being seen all over the world, because in
the last month I have received three different emails, two from Japan and
one from the Netherlands, asking if my car was for sale. I politely
responded that it was not. They all wrote back that if I knew of any for
sale, that I please contact them. I know of three right now. One is on
Datsun.org, #699, one is owned by Mike Young, and the other is on racer-net.
I forwarded the info.

The reason I bring this up is that I see a lot of cars for sale that are
listed as show winners or something similar. Mike Young has a 67.5 1600
stroker on his site that looks really nice. So nice it has a "call for more
info" listing under the sale price. It is listed as a best custom winner at
Shasta. CDM has a really nice 65 1600 that is also listed as a show winner.
BTW, this car is a sweet car and whoever gets it will be getting a winner.

Got me thinking. How many people lose interest in the cars after they have
had them a while? Unless you are strapped for cash or some other emergency,
why would you dump tens of thousands of dollars into your car only to sell
it? We all know that you probably won't make any money trying to sell a car
for profit after you restore it. I have seen a lot of posts about "buying
someone else's project".

As most of you know, I am not really a tech head on these cars. Oh I know
the basics, but the real stuff gets done by the pros. So I always take a
look at the ownership aspect of the cars. It's almost like owning a race
horse. It's a personal thing that goes beyond owning a car. I wanted a 67.5
2000 for a long time. I finally have one. The amount of time and effort it
took to get one is such that someone would have to offer me a ridiculous sum
of money for me to sell the car. So after I spend 20,000 dollars of my
hard-earned money to restore this car, I hope it will not show up on a
website listed as a "prior show winner". To me, it's a winner right now.

Andrew Murphy
67.5 2000 Solex
SoCalROC (Running this Saturday!)