Re: Towing

To: andrew.murphy@integtech.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Towing
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 17:19:12 EST
In a message dated 03/16/2000 4:12:51 PM Mountain Standard Time,
andrew.murphy@integtech.com writes:

<< With a tow dolly, the only requirement is the tow vehicle outweigh the
towed
 vehicle by 750 lbs. Got that covered.

 Anyone have experience with tow dollys and roadsters? Good? Bad? Thoughts?

 Andrew Murphy
 67.5 2000 Solex
 SoCalROC http://www.netcom.com/~andr/socalroc.htm

Andrew,

I flat-towed my 1600 behind a 94 Cougar (4.6L V8) from Albuquerque to Maine
(2400 miles) last summer.  I had a welding shop make up a tow bracket, using
my front bumper as a guide out of HEAVY u-section steel for the transverse
part and about 1/4" plate steel for the part that attaches to the frame.
Then I bought a universal tow bar from one of the auto part chain stores (Pep
Boys) that attaches with linch pins and a set of the magnetic lights to put
on the roadster. This all worked quite well. The Cougar had no trouble towing
it (my wife drove it the whole way-I was driving a Honda with a small trailer
behind it).  The only change I would make if I did it again would be to leave
the bumper AND the car with the welding shop so the holes would have lined up
correctly. As it was, I had to do a little drilling to get it all to fit, but
nothing major.

Also, be sure to remove the driveshaft. On the the 2000, you can take it off
entirely; on the 1600 as soon as you remove it from the transmission you
begin to lose the fluid.  The problem I have heard of with the tow dollies is
that because the roadster is so short and so low, it can bottom out when you
go through over bumps.  Also, with a tow dolly or flat towing, remember, you
can't back up.

Good luck however you do it.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600