datsun 1600 head

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: datsun 1600 head
From: "Gerardo Magana" <gmagana@softcom.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:40:41 -0800
Progress report Datsun SPL 311-01372:
    Learned something very valuable today as I was reinstalling new studs on
to the head.  My datsun is a 66 1600, It seems that for the earlier models
pre 67 I think, the studs that go into the head are SAE and not metric. The
size is 5/16 and the thread pattern is 18 threads per inch (coarse side)
this part goes to the head, and 24 threads per inch (finer threads) that the
yoke (large 1/4" washers) and nuts and locking washers go to.
    Later models use an 8mm stud with the same amount of threads, but this
make's them non-interchangeable with the earlier heads.
    The way to tell what head you have is first: early heads are cast iron
versus aluminum, second: The front of the head has the radiator fill area,
on the earlier model's there are only three bolts that attach to the head
and the later model's have four bolt's.
    The yoke was a difficult part to find, but I found that you can use some
valve seats (I think that's what they are called) grind them down to the
correct thickness and they work well and serve the same purpose.

Gerardo Magana
67.5 Solex SRL 311-00222
66 1600 SPL 311-01372

P.S.  Thanks to Duram Plummer the 66 1600 is going to be saved from parting
out, he donated an exhaust manifold to me.