Re: TECH questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TECH questions
From: Mark <captainhoek@postmark.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 00:43:40 -0600

sidney raper wrote:

> Also, does anyone have any experience with MAPP torches?  I saw one at Home
> Depot and thought that it would be great if it does what I want - weld sheet
> metal cheaply.  The entire kit (including gas!) was only $40, and it claims
> to weld sheet metal with no problems.  Being ever the sceptic, I wanted to
> ask this intrepid crowd!

Sid, I have had a MAPP gas torch for about 15 years now, and it's great, but
mine is MAPP only - no oxygen.  It's quite a bit hotter than propane, in fact,
for some jobs it's TOO hot.  But it certainly is not hot enough to weld.  If
your torch has an oxy tank, I'd expect it to do the job on light welding,
though.

BTW, for those of you (Tom W and others) in TExas who have graciously invited
me to visit, I think you again.  I wish I could have squeezed it in.  But I'm
outta here.  I've just accepted a job with a consulting firm at about a 50%
raise.  (I'm heartbroken!)  I'll likely be heading to Salt Lake City for a
project there.

--
Mark van der Hoek
Houston, for a few more days...