Re: Re[2]: '67 2000 #36 for sale (not mine)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re[2]: '67 2000 #36 for sale (not mine)
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 20:32:00 EST
Okay... I guess I will put in my few cents...

I, like many others on this list have rebuilt old cars.  Some of them started
out as rusted out buckets with boxes of parts to complete the project.  (Yeah
right)  And others have been decent second owner cars that didnt tke alot of
work but just some freshening up.  And then there are the ones in between.

After a "bucket" Karmann Ghia I went to a nice '67 Galaxie.  THen back down
to a 2nd owner BMW 2800.  Then I went why down to a beat up, run down, $%@#'d
up 1966 Datsun 1600.  I swore to never do that again.  My next, and last
project was a decent 67.5 2000.  I spent 8 grand but I got a running Roadster
with a solid body.  Well... a running 67.5 2000 with matching numbers
actually.  So I guess it was worth it.  I was offered a 67.5 2000 that needed
motor work, interior work, "other stuff" work for about 4K but I turned it
down.  Remember...?  I swore off the non-running restoration forever.

Why would I swear off what I love to do.  Well, because I like to drive my
car more than I like to rebuild it.  Yes, I feel pride in doing the job "all
by myself.."  But I certainly dont mind completing someone elses project that
he/she got tired of working on.  Afterall, I am the one to take it to where
it is today.

I also dont see money being an issue for me.  No... that doesnt mean I have
money because I certainly dont.  But I know from previous cars that doing a
rebuild from scratch is much more costly then starting one from the halfway
point.  But the most important issue for me was time.  I am only 37 years
old.  But I dont care to waste my time in the garage while I can be driving
the coastline.

I understand that there are many who do not agree with me.  There are also
many with greater mechanical skills then I.  Please take no offense.  These
are my personal reasons.  Some may not consider it a waste of their time to
piece back the chrome or interior parts to save money.  Not me.  I want a car
that has most of the stuff there.  I may be able to drive my car into my
70's. Maybe not.  But I want to enjoy driving it now.

Michael "Calspeed" Carion