Steering Shaft Shuffle

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering Shaft Shuffle
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:54:28 EST
After the autocross I noticed the steering shaft shifting quite
a bit during turns, not slack in the guts of the steering bits,
but the whole darn wheel shifting left and right......
so when home I yanked on it and found out it does
flop around in its hole quite a bit.  I am sure there is
some sort of gasket or bushing that disintigrated
and fell out during the autocross.  I know the
tie rods, idler arm, steering box, etc, is fine,
have tested all....but the shaft itself shifts around
due to slop in its guide holes in the firewall and dash.
What the heck am I missing now??
I figure I can make something to fix this,
does anyone have an answer to this??
Thanks!
Jim
Chesapeake Va
67 pushrod 2L  5spd "SAKE RKT"
72 510 wagon....soon to be L20b/Mikuni carb/280Z 5spd