A new roadster book (long)

To: datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: A new roadster book (long)
From: fairlady <fairlady@telstra.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:00:32 +1000
I am please to announce the release of Fair Lady, Japan's First Sports Car.

As its name implies, this beautifully designed, high quality book takes a
detailed look at the image building car that helped lift Nissan-Datsun from a
local Japanese manufacturer to one of the world's largest car makers.

This book has been 5 years in the making (with some sizeable breaks) and has
involved the ipput and cooperation of a number of list members. I have
conducted interviews with designers, engineers and notable owners of these
cars in Japan, Europe, North America and Australia. I have also been granted
access to a great deal of material from Nissan's own archives. I also
commissioned a great number of original photographs to help make this book
something special.

The book focuses on the period from 1958 to 1970, a time of explosive growth
for the Japanese automotive industry and Nissan-Datsun in particular. Fair
Lady starts with a look at the history of Nissan, the mood and politics of the
Japanese industry at the time and sports cars offered by Japanese
manufacturers during this period. The book then moves on to take a detailed
look at the design, construction and development of the various models that
bear the badge Fair Lady. Later Chapters focus on racing and rallying
accomplishments, production numbers and worldwide distribution and finally,
tips for current and intending owners.

There is also a chapter on the Silvia coupe. This stunning car was a
mechanical sister to the Fair Lady convertible. The Silvia won acclaim all
around the world for its beautiful styling but was a sales failure.

This book is the first in the English language to focus purely on these cars.
While it is aimed particularly at owners and enthusiasts of these cars, Fair
Lady, Japan's First Sports Cars is also suitable for the curious and those
with a general interest in things automotive.

Details in brief:
Title: Fair Lady, Japan's First Sports Car
Published by Banzai Productions
             P O Box 615
             Artarmon NSW 1570
             Australia

ISBN 0-646-40690-6
148 pages (including 20 pages of colour sections) plus cover
167 photographs and illustrations
The size is 245mm by 190mm
It is soft bound and printed on 130gsm paper
Recommended retail price is US$30

To keep costs down for everyone I would prefer to sell in quantities through
clubs. This would save currency conversion and other banking costs as well as
postage. For instance, a single copy posted by economy air would be US$36 to
US$38 but 3 copies sent to the same address would total US$102 or US$34each.
Larger quantities would be cheaper again. I would also look favourably at
discounting on large orders.

This Fair Lady will not be available in US bookshops for sometime, if at all
(unless a lot of you start asking Motorbooks or Amazon.com about it). I have
sold about 40 copies of the book in Australia so far and expect the first
copies to arrive in the USA and Britain within the next week.

Some list members are among those with copies of the book and should be able
to confirm the quality of Fair Lady, Japan's First Sports Car.

Please contact me if you require more information.

Kindest Regards,
Phill Brook

BTW There are NO pictures of Z cars in the book.