Re: A new roadster book (long)

To: Alex Avery <aavery@rica.net>,
Subject: Re: A new roadster book (long)
From: The Dread Pirate Roberts <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:42:11 -0800
It's all a matter of taste, I guess. I owned a PL521 truck which had the L16
engine,
basically a 4-cylinder version of the 240 Z's motor (or should I say, since the
4 cylinder
L-series motors were around first, the Z motor is a 6-cylinder version of the
L16), so I
know what a great motor that is. I think that Roadster owners in general get
tired of
their cars being mistaken for Triumphs, or even worse, MGs, because most people
(including, evidently, some Nissan  employees) think that the Z is the only
sports car
that Nissan/Datsun ever built; not to mention the fact that the onset of the Z
killed
Roadster production.

If I wanted to go even faster than a Roadster is capable of and have hard roof
over my
head,  I guess a Z would do the job, but a '68 Mustang fastback would do it
better,
cheaper and faster. It's the fun factor that keeps my '70 2000 in my garage.
Nothing beats
a ragtop for fun. I live in the San Francisco Bay area, and exotic, expensive
cars are
daily sights - but nothing turns heads like a Roadster. To most folks the Z is
just an old
Datsun, but a Datsun Roadster is special ;^ ).

No offense intended, and certainly none taken...

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA