Re: National Datsun Meet and Shasta

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: National Datsun Meet and Shasta
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 13:37:44 -0600
>John Sandhoff:

>It depends on which one you want to register with (and you can register
>with both), but you can join the all-Datsun group for many of their
>festivities while still being part of the Roadster group. We spend time
>up at the Lodge watching 'the other half'. If you go up early (arrive
>Thursday), you can watch their Friday events. Last year Peggy (Hale,
>a major all-datsun coordinator) arranged for a 'poker-run only' entry fee
>so those of us that wanted to could join in their 510 madness. Then
>Saturday morning you do the Roadster show, at noon head to the lodge
>for more 510/Z/1200/1000/misc action-watching and people-meeting.
>
>The main conflict is the conflicting banquet schedule - both groups
>use Saturday night for their awards dinner.

You beat me to the punch (er...send button?) John. We saw a lot of
roadster folks from this list up at the Ski Park in '99. Lots of stuff
going on and AFAIK you can register for individual events like the
gymkhana and autocross.

> John Schmitt:

>If you have suggestions, make them positive, not complaints.  I would be
>very bad at trying to take charge of this but someone has to.  He/She then
>has to ask how many can commit to driving 1500 miles to the event to see if
>it is worth while to proceed.  Then take a vote on approximate location,
>i.e. Colorado or Kansas or Texas.  After that see if the committed are
>still committed.  Then invest the real time.
>     I can tell you that driving a 30 year old car that I rebuilt in my
>garage 1500 miles is out of the question.  I would have to rent a trailer
>and invest some money in my truck,  If it is reasonable in distance, I am
>sure that I can get Wessel and a couple others from the upper mid west to
>form a caravan and that would make it doable.
>
>Just don't set the date for same weekend as the US GP in Sept.  or
>Christmas!!  Those are the only ones off-limits for me.

John, this was a better, more positive, way of expressing the points I
was trying to make. Baring something that absolutely prohibits our being
able to participate, we'll be there (wherever there turns out to be),
hopefully with a car to play with or you folks can be my pall bearers.
<grin> I really do think that late June through July, preferably
somewhere that has reasonable temps, makes the most sense.

BTW, after Fred posted about the increase in seismic activity in the
Shasta area, I tried to access the ShastaCam
<http://www.mtshasta.com/shastcam/cam.html>, but it appears to be down, I
hope electronically rather than literally. For those that don't about it,
it's a fixed camera in the Ski Lodge aimed at the peak. Very interesting.

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
ronnie_day@acd.org
The ACL Group