The day the wheel fell off and other stories

To: "Autox" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: The day the wheel fell off and other stories
From: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 08:45:48 -0700
It started out innocently enough. We convoyed up with Jon Frampton and his
family in their 'emergency' SUV from Orange County and all was going
smoothly. Oh, the hood latch popped on the 405, but we pulled over quickly
and solved that little problem. The real trouble occurred just outside
Oxnard on the 101. I noticed a vibration that seemed to indicate a flat
tire. We pulled over just short of an offramp and looked around the car. No
tires were down and after checking under the car we took off again, only to
have the vibration get much worse in a matter of feet! We pulled off on the
ramp and I was creeping up to the top when PLOP! off came the driver's side
rear wheel. It folded up under the rear axle and there we were!

Well, Jon and I managed to jack it up and to my surprise, we found all four
lugnuts in the hubcap! The wheel stud threads were pretty banged up, but we
got the spare on and tightened the nuts down on all wheels securely. The
thing that bothers me is that I distinctly recall tightening all the lugnuts
before I put the hubcaps on. Strange. We feel blessed that the wheel stayed
on until we stopped. It could have been a disaster!

So much for 'the story I'll tell for years'. Now for the good part. Solvang
was one of the most enjoyable weekends we have spent in a long time. I met
many people I have only exchanged email with and the show was even better
that we could have imagined. When the awards were handed out and I found we
had won the 1600 class, I could not believe it! I only have everyone on the
list to thank for our good fortune. Your help and guidance is a large factor
in why the beast is back together and on the road. Joe Roach and the San
Diego club put on a wonderful show, a great BBQ and if a more lovely
location could be found to hold a car show, I don't know where that would
be.

I particularly want to thank Jon and his lovely family for taking us under
their wing for our first outing. Best In Show. Way to go, Jon!

I have lots of pics and will post them shortly.

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600
http://www.PictureTrail.com/bauman311