RE: The day the wheel fell off and other stories

To: Brian Hollands <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>,
Subject: RE: The day the wheel fell off and other stories
From: Andy Klink <colonel_klink510@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 13:01:42 -0700 (PDT)
--- Brian Hollands <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com> wrote:
> And I thought that had only happened to me -

Alright, I guess I'll tell my story as well, although it was a 510, not a
Roadster.

I was just out of high school and working at, don't laugh - actually do laugh,
Chuck E. Cheese.  I was driving to take an OLCC class to get a license to serve
beer at Chuck's.  My companion was a methamphetamine junkie who worked there as
well.  He had to sit on the floorboards as I had stripped the interior to
install Dynamat.  So we were approaching a stoplight and as I applied the
brakes, the rear of the car started swaying back and forth like an out of
control trailer.  When the light turned green, I pulled a U-turn and right as I
got to the side of the road...kaplunk!  There goes the wheel.  Remarkably, we
found three lug nuts scattered across the road.  Because we were late, I jacked
up the car and left it there, called my Dad to see if he could come check out
the car to assess the damage, and walked about 1/4 mile to the class.  After
the ever so boring (but necessary) class, I went back to the car and my Dad had
found no mechanical damage.  I did, however, suffer some body damage - the
lower portion of the 1/4 panel behind the wheel was folded up a bit, but was
really un-noticeable to the unsuspecting eye.

Well, I thought that was the end of it, but a week later the same swaying
happened again.  This time I immediately pulled over, found that the lugs were
loose again - on the same wheel no less!  It was then that I got paranoid and
thought someone was after me, but it never happened again after that.

=====
Andy Klink
Gresham, OR
71 510 2dr