Re[2]: Cooling

To: Pamela Pepoy <gppepoy@cybertrails.com>
Subject: Re[2]: Cooling
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 13:51:13 -0700
Catching up on my email for the last week and saw your post. Triple digit
temps? We don't get that in SF. While in Solvang with it's about 65-70
temperature I saw people from the central valley shivering in heavy
jackets. Heck, 70 is balmy for San Francisco.

But your car should be able to stand up to hi-temps. Before heading to Solvang,
I swapped out my thermostat for the change from winter to summer weather. The
old one was a higher temp, maybe 185 degree, without a relief hole. The new one
is a lower temp, perhaps 160 and has a relief hole about 1/8 to 3/16 inch
diameter to allow water to pass thru when the engine is first started. Doing
this will allow your radiator to perform it's cooling work without waiting for
the thermostat to open up. Was already mentioned by others, but be sure you have
a much higher water content in the water/antifreeze-coolant mix, as the water
does all the cooling work. Oh, there's a small relief hole in the thermostat
housing so be sure it doesn't get blocked by the gasket or gasket-sealer. Best
thing is to apply a very small almost none amount of sealer. If any sealer gets
loose in your cooling system it can clog up your radiator.

Fred - So.SF