Re: What do I chrome?

To: "Dziuba, Larry" <LarryD@pengrowth.com>, <Davesmbox@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: What do I chrome?
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 17:23:45 -0400
Larry,

The platers can't add another metal to the chrome but they might do a thin
strike with another metal over the chrome. Or the chrome may be very thin
over the nickel and nickel is yellowish compared to chrome.

FWIW, poor, as in lousy, platers often don't strike a thick enough coat of
chrome and after a year or two the nickel starts showing through. BTDT.
Additionally, chrome, as compared to nickel and copper requires much more
power to strike the metal with. If the plater doesn't know what he's doing
he will not use enough current to give a nice chrome finish. There is an
"art" to plating and unfortunately many platers aren't "artists."

I read a lot about plating before having my parts plated and I still got
screwed the first time. The second time I asked more Qs and demanded to see
their work for other customers. If they are too cheap stay away. Plating is

Mike