A Human Tragedy (for real)

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: A Human Tragedy (for real)
From: Roman Rist <ristguitars@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 20:35:13 -0700 (PDT)
Hi folks.

This morning at 8:30 am my next door neighbor's son Luke, was struck by
a car and killed.
This happened right in front of my house, on a quiet residential street
in the suburbs, a place where things like this don't happen...yet it
did.

Luke was an energetic little young man, loved to play with my dogs,
loved to ride his bike up and down the street, and was starting to
learn how to ride a honda ATV. He had just turned 7.

this morning his dad was helping some people with concrete in his
driveway. A concrete truck was on the house side of the street, so the
family van to take the kids off too school was on the other side of the
street.

Luke did not want to go to school today, he wanted to stay with his dad
and help with the driveway... dad said no, you can help after school.

Luke reluctantly obeyed, but had forgotten his back pack in the house.
he exited on the passenger side of the van and went around the front
and started to dash across the street towards home.

he unfortunately was no match for the SUV that was approaching.
The SUV was driven by an 18 year old on his way to work (probably a
local kid). There was no excessive speed or recklessness on the part of
the driver, it was just a case of  a child coming out of no where and
him not being able to stop. he was not charged or arrested.

Luke's dad, a paramedic, was on the scene in an instant, calm, cool and
collected as he used all his training and skill to try to save his
boy's life. A helicopter landed at a school on the corner and airlifted
luke and his father to the hospital, all to no avail.

Luke died at hospital from massive internal injuries an hr later.

So, here is the deal;

Hug your kids tonight...it could have been you, or worse, any one of us
could have been the driver.

Make sure your kids get into the habit of looking both ways before
crossing. may sound redundant, but Luke didn't, and now his dad will
never see him grow up.

Please, be extra careful in residential areas...who knows what the kids
will do.
It only takes an instant to cause a fatality.

Luke's dad is a paramedic and in the business of saving lives. year
round he comes to the aid of total strangers and does what he can to
sustain and save the lives of people who's names he may never know.

I know none of you know these people, however, they are just like you
and me. Just people in the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness.

Well, today all three were taken away.

I am apealling to our group (which i feel is a cut above), to even
though strangers, please send a letter of condolence to Mark and Molly.

Won't cost you a dime, just a little time.
It could have been anyone of us.

Like I said earlier, Mark is in the business of saving the lives of
complete strangers...I think some strangers responding with some good
wishes might be a good thing...can't hurt the Karma.

Anyone who wishes to drop a line please do so to Mark and Molly C/O
me at my Email adress.
I will print out all letters and give them to Mark and Molly.

thanks for your help, watch out for kids, and hug your kids tonight and
tell them you love them.

Roman
Ps. roadster content; went back to work on the 66 ("primer king")
almost got him fired up tonight, he he'd been sitting since Doheney.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/