RE: The "Evil L" vs "Death Rattle"

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The "Evil L" vs "Death Rattle"
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 22:04:21 -0700
Yes, that's the "Death Rattle." It normally happens on startup because the upper
timing chain tensioner is the LAST part of the engine to get oil pressure, so
the chain is running pretty slack at that point. That's why, in the early
stages, the Death Rattle goes away after a few seconds. As the chain wears and
stretches, it lasts longer and starts happening when you lift off the throttle
from moderate-to-high revs.

The oil filter tube was an attempt to partially alleviate this problem by
keeping the filter full of oil and allowing pressure to build up faster. Without
the tube, the pump has to fill the filter before any pressure starts to build,
even in the main oil gallery (see
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/U20_Lubrication_System.JPG).

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA