Re: Exhaust Manifold Question

To: "Ryan Roswell Bird" <birdman@myrealbox.com>,
Subject: Re: Exhaust Manifold Question
From: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 19:22:23 -0700
Use what you have!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Roswell Bird <birdman@myrealbox.com>
To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, May 17, 2001 6:34 PM
Subject: Exhaust Manifold Question

>I am about to start putting my car back together and have a question before
I do, I know this has been discussed in much detail in the past, but thought
I would bring it up one more time.

>I have the stock exhaust manifold for my early 67 1600.  It is in good
condition.  Regardless of the condition, the common advice is swap it for a
header/flex connector/smaller starter.  What I have gathered is that the
manifold will crack/break/become bad and there is nothing you can do about
it, just replace it with a header.  The other problem I've heard about,
which I am most concerned about, is the connection to the exhaust pipe.  I
don't want it to leak.  So, all that being said, is there a way to:

>Properly seal the Exhaust Manifold (Preferably with some time of a flex
connector involved) and still be able to easily pull the engine?

>I guess my motivation is almost purely financial, it takes about $300 to
put in the header, new starter, flex connector, and I have a good manifold.